|Country of origin||Japan|
Aikido (合気道, aikidō) is a Japanese martial art developed by Morihei Ueshiba as a synthesis of his martial studies, philosophy, and religious beliefs. Aikido is often translated as "the Way of unifying (with) life energy" or as "the Way of harmonious spirit." Ueshiba's goal was to create an art that practitioners could use to defend themselves while also protecting their attacker from injury.
Aikido is performed by blending with the motion of the attacker and redirecting the force of the attack rather than opposing it head-on. This requires very little physical energy, as the aikidōka (aikido practitioner) "leads" the attacker's momentum using entering and turning movements. The techniques are completed with various throws or joint locks. Aikido can be categorized under the general umbrella of grappling arts.
- 1 Aikido styles and organizations.
- 2 Directory of Aikido Organizations.
- 3 More Aikido Organizations
Aikido styles and organizations.[edit | edit source]
Styles founded during the first 40 years[edit | edit source]
- Yoshinkan aikido founded by Gozo Shioda in 1955,
- Yoseikan aikido, begun by Minoru Mochizuki in 1931, and
- Shodokan aikido, founded by Kenji Tomiki in 1967.
- Shin'ei Taidō (親英体道) is a style closely related to aikido, founded in 1956 by Noriaki Inoue (井上 鑑昭 Inoue Noriaki, 1902–1994), a nephew and pre-war student of Morihei Ueshiba.
Styles founded after Ueshiba's death[edit | edit source]
- Iwama Ryu - This style evolved from Ueshiba's retirement in Iwama, Japan, and the teaching methodology of long term student Morihiro Saito. It is unofficially referred to as the "Iwama style". Saito's students have split into two groups; one remaining with the Aikikai and the other forming the independent organization Shinshin Aikishuren Kai (神信合気修練会?) in 2004 around Saito's son Hitohiro Saito (斎藤 仁弘 Saitō Hitohiro, born 1957).
- Ki Society - Another event that caused significant controversy was the departure of the Aikikai Honbu Dojo's chief instructor Koichi Tohei, in 1974. Tohei left as a result of a disagreement with the son of the founder, Kisshomaru Ueshiba (植芝 吉祥丸 Ueshiba Kisshōmaru, 1921–1999), who at that time headed the Aikikai Foundation. The disagreement was over the proper role of kidevelopment in regular aikido training. After Tohei left, he formed his own style, called Shin Shin Toitsu aikido, and the organization which governs it, the Ki Society.
Additional Aikido Styles founded by former students of Morihei Ueshiba[edit | edit source]
- Wadokai Aikido - Suenaka-ha Tetsugaku-ho, founded by Roy Suenaka in 1975.
- The Kokusai Aikidō Kenshūkai Kobayashi Hirokazu Ha, or Kobayashi aikido, founded by Hirokazu Kobayashi.
- Tendoryu aikido (天道流合気道 Tendō-ryū Aikidō); founded by Kenji Shimizu (清水 健二 Shimizu Kenji, born 1940) in 1982. Founded the "Shimizu Dojo" in 1969, renamed it the Tendokan (天道館 Tendōkan) in 1975.
- Shingu Style referring to the students of Michio Hikitsuchi
- Nishio Style referring to the style of Shoji Nishio
- Yamaguchi Style referring to the highly influential Seigo Yamaguchi
- Manseikan Aikido founded by Kanshu Sunadomari
Directory of Aikido Organizations.[edit | edit source]
A[edit | edit source]
F[edit | edit source]
I[edit | edit source]
R[edit | edit source]
S[edit | edit source]
S cont.[edit | edit source]
W[edit | edit source]
Y[edit | edit source]
More Aikido Organizations[edit | edit source]
- Aiki Extensions - Provides support and enhances communication among those who apply the principles of Aikido and practice in venues outside of conventional dojo settings.
- Aiki Works Inc - A company which uses Aikido principles for conflict resolution, managerial development, and sports performance.
- Aikido Association of America - International organization founded by Fumio Toyoda. Organization history, founder profile, seminar schedule, dojo directory, and newsletter.
- Aikido Association of North America (AANA) - International Yoshinkan Aikido Federation affiliated organization for Doshinkan-style Aikido dojos. Headquarters in Philadelphia, PA. Details include upcoming events, reading list, video clips, and list of member dojos.
- Aikido Hawaii - Dedicated to unifying all practitioners of Aikido in Hawaii, and to the preservation of the history of Aikido in Hawaii. Provides information concerning all dojos in the state of Hawaii.
- Aikido Institute of America - The Seidokan Aikido World Headquarters located in Los Angeles, CA
- Aikido North East - Dojo listing, organisation details, Aikido information, gallery and contact listing.
- Aikido Schools of Ueshiba - International organization based in Myakka City Fl. Instructor profiles, calendar of events, dojo listing, and media links.
- Aikido Seikikai - Aikido Seikikai is headed by Minoru Kurita and has associated dojos in the Mexico, Cuba, and Washington State, US. Headquarters based in San Luis Potosí, Mexico. [English/Spanish]
- Aikido Shinju-Kai - Dojos all over Singapore and officially recognized by Aikido World Headquarters in Japan. Provides club details, instructor list and history.
- Aikido Tai Shin Kai - Based in Singapore, opened by a family of dedicated Aikido practitioners. Includes dojo listings, instructor profiles, and news.
- Aikido World Alliance - Association of dojos in the United states and Puerto Rico. Uses a system standardized testing based on the teachings of Fumio Toyoda Shihan. Chief Instructor Andy Sato Sensei. Dojo listing, seminar schedule, photo gallery, and mission statement.
- Aikido Yoshinkai Canada (AYC) - Yoshinkai Aikido Federation accredited organization. Schedule of classes, instructors and related links.
- Aikido Yoshinkan Foundation - Official site of the Yoshinkan foundation and global headquarters. Information on the organization, sensei and latest seminars.
- Aikido Yoshokai Association of North America (AYANA) - AYANA is a nonprofit educational corporation established in 1991 dedicated to teaching Yoshokai Aikido and educating the general public about Aikido in particular and Japanese Budo in general. The organization is headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Birankai International North America - Information includes lists of affiliated dojos and certified teachers.
- British Aikido Board - Governing body for Aikido in the United Kingdom as recognized by the British Sports Council. Site provides dojo and organization directories, information about coaching classes, news, and multimedia.
- California Aikido Association - An Aikido organization based upon the principle of training together in friendship with a minimum of formal organizational structure. The CAA is affiliated with Hombu Dojo, Aikido Headquarters, in Tokyo, Japan.
- The Canadian Aikido Federation - News and information, dojo directory, events and seminars, news letter and links.
- International Aikido Association - An organization founded by Bill Sosa and based in Dallas TX.
- International Aikido Federation - The world organization of the Japanese martial art Aikido. News, officials, minutes, member nations, courses and seminars, photograph and art galleries and links.
- International Takemusu Aikido Federation - International organization of Takemusu style dojos in Europe, the Middle East, and North America. Headquartered in France. Includes dojo directory, information about the style, and information on how to become a registered instructor.
- International Yoseikan Budo Federation (IYBF) - North American information for the Japan-based organization. Yoseikan Budo is a composite martial art combining elements of many styles including Aikido, Judo, Karate, and Kendo. [English/French]
- Iran Aikido Association - Seeks to promote Aikido of all styles in Iran. Style descriptions, dojo listing, and organization news.
- The Japanese Martial Arts Society - Nihon Bugei Shinjinkai - Chicago based international association dedicated to training in Budo (martial Ways) and Zen. Includes information about Aikido, Iaido (Mugairyu Iaihyodo), and the koryu arts of the Shinbukan Kuroda Ryugi.
- Jiyushinkai Aikibudo - Dojo locations, photographs, seminars, books and videos, teaching staff, philosophy and general information.
- Ki No Kawa Aikido Organization - Includes instructor profiles, multimedia, schedule of events, and dojo listings. Dojos located throughout the USA.
- Kokusai Aikido Kenshukai Kobayashi Hirokazu Ha - French-based organization with affiliates in Europea and Asia. Dojo and member lists, photo gallery, and contact information. [English/French]
- Kolesnikov's School of Mind and Body Development and Aikido - Organization of dojos in the United Kingdom and the Ukraine headed by Wasyl Kolesnikov. Provides dojo list, news articles, style information, and multimedia.
- Komyokan Aikido Association - Organization founded by Terry Ezra for UK dojos. Image gallery, dojo listing, online resources, and seminar schedule.
- Kurita Juku Aiki - Association of dojos in Mexico and Texas, USA. Headquartered in Veracruz, Mexico.
- Makiling Aikido - Unaffiliated group of dojos in the Philippines and Saudi Arabia. Dojo directory, image gallery, and organization history.
- National Aikido Federation - Teaching and practicing Ueshiba-style Aikido.
- Nihon Goshin Aikido - Style of Aikido founded by Shodo Morita. Dojo listing, style description and history, and online forum. Based in New Jersey.
- Pacific Aikido Federation - Group of dojos located in California, mostly clustered around the San Francisco Bay ara. Includes dojo listing and class schedules, news and announcements, online newsletter, and head instructor's biography.
- Sanshinkai Aikido - Organization of European dojos offering instruction in a style of Aikido that combines elements of Aikido, Hojo kata, and Genkikai. Includes dojo list, event calendar, information about testing, and style history.
- Scottish Aikido Federation - Clubs, gradings, FAQs, overview, courses and links.
- Seidokan Aikido - Los Angeles based organization founded by Roderick T. Kobayashi. Seidokan style Aikido has a strong influence from the Ki Society. History of the style, event listing, and newsletter archives.
- Shudokan Aikido - Includes organization history, class syllabus, tournament schedule, and newsletter archive.
- Sosei Aikido Kyokai - Sosei Aikido Kyokai was formed to fill a need in the Aikido community and keep the dream of Fumio Toyoda Shihan alive of making Aikido available for everyone.
- Welsh Aikido Society - Small organization of dojos in South Wales. British Aikido Board member. Includes training schedule, information on membership and fees, and instructor biographies.